Saturday, January 28, 2012

DAY 20 - Daniel Fast

I'm having mixed feelings about ending my fast...I made my last "fast" trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's today and didn't have to buy much; in fact, I probably bought more than I needed just because I still want to eat this way after I'm done with the fast (with the exceptions of adding back Greek yogurt, feta and salmon!).  The benefits have been noticeable:  I am 4 lbs. lighter (Jeff has lost 9).  My skin is honestly clearer...no break-outs during the fast!  I feel good about what I'm putting into my body, no post-binge regrets or guilt. I sleep more soundly.  My prayer life is better.  My prophetic edge is stronger.  My spiritual and natural awareness is sharper.  And the exciting thing about fasting is that the biggest benefits come after the fast is over...so the best is yet to come!  Share with me what benefits you have experienced on the fast---I'd love to hear your story!


BREAKFAST:  ABB Sandwich, green drink

I ran out of almond butter on my very last ABB sandwich today.  But I do like eating it now and again even when not fasting, so I picked up a new jar today.  This is a new brand, one I've never tried before, and it has roasted flax seed in it, so it's full of omega-3's.  I'm excited to try it!  I also picked up a new protein green drink.  It's full of goodies...apple juice, strawberry puree, banana, mango, grape juice, soy protein, spirulina, chlorella, broccoli, sinach, barley grass, wheat grass, parsley, ginger, blue green algae and odorless garlic.  Wow!  I honestly think it would have been better without the grape juice concentrate because it was a tad too sweet for me (that's what 3 weeks off sugar will do for you!).  Actually, just a word to the wise (that's you!), this whole breakfast, although very healthy, is quite high calorie.  I only make half a sandwich instead of a whole, which eliminates 110 calories, I do not spread my almond butter very thick (100 calories per tablespoon), and I only drink half a bottle of green drink at a time, which eliminates another 170 calories.  If you were to eat a whole sandwich and drink the whole bottle of juice, you would be consuming 865 calories!!  My serving will only cost you 545, which I still consider on the high side for breakfast, as a bowl of oatmeal with apples, cinnamon and soy milk is only 185.  Whenever you eat this breakfast, select lighter foods for lunch and dinner.  Although nuts and seeds are really good for you, they pack a surprise punch in their calorie count!

My new flax seed almond butter, Green Protein drink,
and a new kombucha flavor---raspberry ginger



LUNCH:  Caribbean Salad

Take that left-over mango salsa out of the fridge and spoon it over some fresh lettuce.  Then crush a handful of corn tortilla chips and sprinkle that on top.  If you want to, add more of any ingredient you think might be lacking.  For me, I can never have enough avocado!  It's definitely one of my favorite foods!  (and high in fat...sigh.  Good fat, but still high-cal!)


DINNER:  Corn Chowder, veggies and dip, toasted manna bread/pita chips/whole-grain crackers

Cut up some celery stalks, carrot sticks, cucumber spears, sugar-snaps, and red pepper slices and dip them into whatever you have left over...hummus, pesto, bean dip.  Jeff finished off our hummus yesterday, I finished off the bean dip, and the pesto made with avocado is very brown (the downside of replacing the parmesan cheese with avocado in the pesto is that it doesn't keep very well), so I actually bought a super-yummy dip at Whole Foods...one I don't think I ever would have purchased if I hadn't have been fasting.  It's called "Melitzano" and it's an eggplant dip.  Now I'm not a big fan of eggplant, and I honestly don't know what made me even buy this, but it's delicious!  As soon as I opened it I was hit with the smell of garlic.  It is a very zesty, flavorful dip that I will definitely buy again, even off the fast.  I may even try making it one day, as the ingredients are quite simple (just eggplant, parsley, garlic, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, oregano, pepper, salt).  You can also dip in any pita chips or whole-grain crackers you have left, or just eat the crackers with your soup.





The soup recipe is only 4 servings, so you should have enough for dinner tonight and another bowl tomorrow with a sandwich for lunch.  I never liked corn chowder because I had only ever eaten it made with a can of creamed corn...blech!  Honestly one of the worst foods ever!  Then I had a bowl at a friend's house.  I took a bowl to be polite...and it was surprisingly delicious!  It was a Mennonite recipe that used fresh corn kernels shaved right off the cob.  What a difference!  So, unless you love canned creamed corn, go for the freshest, sweetest kernels you can find and you'll love the soup too, even without the cream!  And because there is no cream, it's healthy and low-fat!

Potato-Corn Chowder

1.  Boil 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced, in 1-1/2 c. water (lightly salted) until tender (about 20 min.).  Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 c. soy milk.  Blend with an emulsifier or in the blender.  Add more soy milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
2.  While potatoes are boiling, saute 1 small onion, diced fine, in olive oil.  You may add other vegetables, if you like, such as celery, carrot and red pepper (diced fine).
3.  Add vegetables, 1 c. corn kernels, 1/2 tsp. ground thyme, and pepper to potato liquid.

Option:  You can use 2 russet potatoes, peeled, and 1 red potato, skin on. Take the red potato out before pureeing, then add the chunks back into the pureed soup for texture.


Even without the cream and bacon garnish, this looks pretty delish!

3 comments:

  1. What type of bread did you use for the ABB sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Ezekiel bread...it has no yeast and no refined sugar. Here's a link http://www.foodforlife.com/about_us/ezekiel-49

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that soup! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete