Monday, January 23, 2012

DAY 15 - Daniel Fast

So taking pictures of everything I cook is becoming a point of mockery among my children!  As soon as I enter the kitchen holding my camera, one of them will start in on me.  I'm so glad I can provide entertainment at home as well as online!

I don't know about you, but I'm actually feeling less and less hungry in between and before meals as I continue the fast.  I guess my body has adjusted to not eating meat and my blood sugar levels must be pretty stable.  Now that I'm feeling full and satisfied on veggies, whole grains and fruit, I'm really not interested in meat at all anymore.  Have I become a vegetarian???  Do I even want to be one?

As I blog away tonight, I'm actually too full!  I find the Mexican-style meals to be the most filling (you'll be making tostadas for dinner).  My daughter made me a bowl of dry popcorn (which I'm also getting quite used to...I like the airy way it crunches when you eat it!), and I wasn't one bit hungry but I ate a bowl anyway sitting here at my computer.  Now why did I do that?


BREAKFAST:  Oatmeal

If you're reading this the night before, try it in your crockpot!


LUNCH:  Veggie sandwich with walnut pesto, fresh fruit

My favorite veggie sandwich has avocado,
tomato, cucumber, spinach leaves and sprouts
on Dave's Killer sprouted bread
(and usually goat cheese)


This is one of my favorite sandwiches, but of course I had to omit the goat cheese.  I found a recipe for walnut crema that said it was great on sandwiches, so I thought I'd give that a try.  When it was finished, I found it to taste pretty potent and didn't think I'd like it on my sandwich.  I almost didn't put it on.  In fact, I had taken a couple bites and then thought to myself, "Well, how will I know if I really don't like it unless I try it?"  I'm expecting you to try all these crazy recipes, so how can I not be willing myself?  So I spread some on my next bite.  Hmm, pretty good!  I opened my sandwich and spread it on the remaining bread.  I liked it!  So see what you think.  It's also supposed to be good with veggies, especially stuffed into celery like peanut butter, or heated and served with crackers or toasted pita or stirred into pasta like pesto.

Walnut Crema
3/4 c. walnuts (blanched in salt water)
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. diced red onion

1.  Boil walnuts 8 to 10 minutes (reserve 1/8 c. of the water)



2.  Saute onion in olive oil (all 1/4 c.)
3.  Combine all three ingredients in food processor and add reserved water while processing until it becomes smooth and creamy, the consistency of hummus.





I also found a recipe for Daniel-Fast pesto in Rachel Ray's magazine, which substitutes the parmesan cheese with avocado.  I haven't tried this yet, but I am planning to.  I love pesto!  Here is the recipe for that, if you want to give it a try:

Daniel-Fast Basil Pesto
1 T. walnuts
1 garlic clove
1-1/2 T. olive oil
2 c. basil (2 oz.)
1/2 an avocado

Process in food processor until well blended and a lively color of green.  Serve on pasta, with crackers or pita, or on a sandwich.


DINNER:  Tostadas

These are so good!  They're a quick meal as well.  When you're done with the Daniel Fast, try it with shredded chicken and a bit of Mexican crema (similar to sour cream only thinner and less sour).

Spread a couple crunchy corn tortillas with warm refried beans, then top with diced tomato or pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, avocado and cilantro.  I like stirring a dash of cumin and chili powder into the refried beans for flavor.

8 comments:

  1. I'm totally there with you- it's crazy to me that I am LESS hungry... And I am def considering going vegetarian... One that eats fish, eggs, and dairy tho ;) then you could keep your goat cheese love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the weekends you could switch up breakfast and make pancakes with sprouted flour and coconut milk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave's Killer Sprouted Bread has both yeast and sugar in it! I cannot have this on the Daniel Fast. Do you suggest an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Ezekiel bread. It has no yeast and no refined sugar. Here's a link, if you'd like to read more http://www.foodforlife.com/about_us/ezekiel-49

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are corn tortillas reply on the fast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends. Some corn tortillas are made with corn flour and have other additives. Stay away from those. Choose a certified organic, sprouted, whole-kernel corn tortilla. Your best bet would be to go to a good health food store, like Whole Foods. Also, Ezekiel sprouted tortillas are good too, but they are much bigger. "Sprouted" is the key word if you want the most healthful grains and no flour.

      Delete
  6. Daniel fast prayer Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete