Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Spy With My Little Eye Something That Is...

...not Daniel-Fast friendly!

Look closely at the photo below and see if you can find the offending item.

I didn't even realize it was there until the day after I purchased it!  I had shopped late last night and then spread my treasures out on the kitchen table to admire and do some meal planning the next day.  When I sat down to eat my Daniel Fast granola and soy milk this morning, I was looking over all the new products I had purchased, pen and paper on one side, bowl and spoon on the other, busily incorporating everything into my menu for the week.  Then I spied it...

CHICKEN BROTH!!

What?!?  How did I do that?  I thought I saw organic, low-sodium vegetable broth.  How did that chicken broth become a stow-away in my grocery bag? 

As you can see, it's that time of year again...our annual Daniel Fast.  Last year I blogged daily for the 21-day fast, and received so many comments and feedback that I've reposted those entries on our church website, for those who are interested in participating this year.  The blog is full of information, photos, recipes, menu plans, products and advice.  Check it out if you feel up to the challenge!

This year is our fourth time doing a Daniel Fast, and this is definitely the easiest it's ever been.  Menu planning has been almost like thinking up meals for any other non-fasting day.  I'm getting the hang of it, knowing what I can and can't have, without having to give everything I put in my mouth a second thought.  I'm still doing research...it's good to learn something new and get a fresh perspective!  Also, I like to see "what's out there" as far as unique and yummy products.

Last night I went to my favorite store, Whole Foods, to shop their unending array of delicious and nutritious foods.  I came back with two bags of treasures!



So many good things!

This time, I am adding some new things...like super-crunchy onion rings called Muruku (made with chickpea flour), tempeh, chia seed, sea kelp noodles with no flour at all, and dried bing cherries for my homemade almond granola.

I have a ton of recipe ideas swirling through my brain...
How about organic tomato sauce with Italian tofu sausage over brown rice pasta?  Or a colorful Asian salad with cold sea kelp noodles, snow peas, shredded carrot and broccoli, cabbage, bean sprouts and mushrooms and sesame seeds tossed in a soy-peanut sauce and topped with cruncy vegetarian Chinese noodles?  Or a hearty bowl of leek, lentil and spinach soup?  Or a Greek wrap with hummus, tomatoes, cucumber, artichokes, olives and romaine bundled up in a sprouted tortilla?

My mother is afraid I'm going to turn into a vegan (almost rhymes with pagan...I think she thinks they go together!).  I assured her I was definitely looking forward to creamy Greek yogurt, a good cup of coffee with real half-and-half, and some rich, moist salmon.  But for now, I will totally embrace the vegan in me...maybe I'll even wear Birkenstocks with socks and a jean skirt tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment